In case you didn’t get the memo at the beginning of the year, Cast Away is now available on Netflix for your anytime streaming pleasure. And in case you didn’t see the news today, Tom Hanks was spotted with his former desert-island lover Wilson at a New York Rangers game last night. It’s a big year already for a film that, despite its lack of dialogue and simple premise, is one of the most rewatchable movies of the past 20 years, begging the question… Why?
Yes, there are few things more timeless than a man getting stranded on an uninhabited island in the middle of the Pacific with nothing but the clothes on his back and the contents of the shipping packages that wash ashore behind him, but there’s more to it than that. The stranded-on-a-desert-island hypothetical is one of humanity’s most intriguing what-ifs, so much so that we’ve made a game out of naming your “desert island” books and movies and personal affects. We wonder if we could make it, if we could survive with nothing but our animal instincts. We like to imagine we could, that we are human animals first and products of civilization second, but of course we’d all probably die within a month.
Tom Hanks didn’t die, though. He went insane and developed an unhealthy relationship with a volleyball, but he lived, and we love to live vicariously through the most relatable A-list actor of this generation’s ability to overcome the odds and sustain himself on an island in the middle of the ocean. Still though, sounds pretty boring on paper. It would have been, if not for Tom Hanks’s non-verbal acting chops. He was able to reveal plenty through, gestures, body language, and most of all, facial expressions. Here are our favorite.
PHASE I: CONFIDENT, SMUG, CONTENT
1. THE “I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS” FACE
“YOU WILL NOT TALK TO ME LIKE THAT! I WORK TOO HARD TO DEAL WITH THIS! I AM A DIVISION MANAGER IN CHARGE OF 29 FEDEX TRUCKS!”
2. THE “WATCHING HER WHILE SHE SLEEPS” FACE
Or in this case, watching her while she (Helen Hunt) makes copies
PHASE II: DISORIENTED, CONFUSED, IN PAN
3. THE “SHOULD HAVE PUT ON SUNSCREEN BEFORE THAT PLANE CRASH” FACE
4. THE “DON’T THESE USUALLY COME WITH A MINI UMBRELLA?” FACE
5. THE “EATING… ALSO NOT EASY” FACE
6. THE “JAGGED CORAL IS PUNCTURING MY FLESH” FACE
7. THE “HOLY SHIT, DEAD BODY!” FACE
8. THE “I AM A SLAVE TO PAIN” FACE
PHASE III: FIRE MAKES EVERYTHING ALRIGHT
9. THE “I AM PRACTICALLY A GOD” FACE
PHASE IV: INSANITY
10. THE “I AM AN INSANE PERSON MAKING ROPE” FACE
11. THE “I AM USING SARCASM TO DEMEAN A MANGLED VOLLEYBALL” FACE
12. THE “HOLD ON!” FACE
Peak turn-of-the-century CGI.
13. THE “I SHOULDN’T HAVE BEEN SO SARCASTIC TO MY MANGLED VOLLEYBALL” FACE
14. THE “CAN I GET FIVE MORE MINUTES OF SLEEP BEFORE YOU RESCUE ME” FACE
PHASE V: WTF?